Early Career Leadership Committee
There are many issues that are unique to researchers at the early stages of their career development including:
- Developing valuable research skills at the graduate and post-doctoral level
- Acquiring a faculty position
- Writing successful grants
- Networking with scientists and federal liaisons that can facilitate the development of your career path
Given the unique challenges of researchers who are in the beginning stages of their career, the mission of this committee is to provide early career scientists with valuable resources and leadership opportunities that will help meet the challenge of becoming an independent and successful researcher.
To achieve this goal, early-career NHSN members can join the Early Career Leadership Committee (ECLC). Our active members:
- Plan several events for the NHSN Annual Scientific Meeting
- Publish the El Faro newsletter
- Develop webinars of particular interest to early-career scientists open to all NHSN members
- Have access to resources for grant writing, job applications, and teaching
Our website provides a listing of relevant events, open positions, and funding opportunities to meet your needs. We meet monthly via Zoom. For more information or to become a part of the ECLC, please contact ECLC co-chairs Alejandra Fernandez, PhD and Danielle Levitt, PhD.
We are also developing a Scientific Advancement through Mentoring Initiative (SAMI) that will pair early-career scientists with senior mentors to provide individualized feedback on various topics including experiment planning, grant proposals, dissertation defense practice, or career feedback.